February 21, 2016

Keeping Up with the Time: Expressions Used Today

People just keep coming up with new words or expressions! There are so many expressions these days that I really have no idea as to what they are referring to and I would rather not concern myself with them, but I do enjoy whiling my time browsing through my social media or reading write-ups. So just imagine, when these weird expressions are dropped and I'm like, "what does that mean?" It's  quite frustrating, especially for me, who actually goes off the grid from time to time. Whenever I open my SNS or talk with my otherwise more "social" peers, I just can't keep up, and it's written all over my face!

Okay, so my friends and I had our own list of words during high school! But if I remember correctly, we just opted to say the words backwards like oyabak for "kabayo" (horse), tingap  for "pangit" (ugly), etc. I don't have to tell you why we did that, hehe. Sorry! We were not exactly the nicest group back then, but we had our moments. And besides, we've changed (kinda)!  But now, wow! Unless, you really pay attention to what you're reading and depend on the context clues or just google the damn term already; you'll never understand what they mean.

In relation to this, I've listed some of the words that are pretty much non-existent when I was in school but are now mainstream expressions.

CHILL
I'm assuming this expression is still synonymous to cool. But I've heard it used as an invitation like "Wanna chill?". Does it mean wanna hang-out? I'm getting confused.

NOOB
I knew this was an online game language but I never paid much attention to it since I don't play RPG or anything similar. I tried googling the word and there were many contradictory definitions. Eventually, I found out that it means "someone who lacks experience or knowledge".
 
SHIP
In the past, it actually refers to two things only, the suffix -ship and the noun which means an ocean-sailing vessel. But now, it is an expression used to say support or favor. I first encountered this whilst watching a Buzzfeed video (I think it was about Ashly and Andrew supposedly being together for reals) and I was like, "ano daw?" then I realized that they were actually pushing for a relationship to happen between the two. Sometimes, I see it used as a term to say you like/love something. I think it's synonymous to the 90's expression dig,  "I really dig that new show, you know." ;)

SWAG
Okay, now I know this one is the shortened term for SWAGGER which means to act or walk with confidence or just with self-importance. It's kinda like the walk with the "attitude", guessing it's something cool particularly since I've heard it used a couple of times in songs mostly in K-Pop though. (it's what I mostly listen to these days!)

BAE
It's been dropped a lot of times already! I'm sure you know what it means unless you've been living  under a rock! It's been a staple term in the social media as of late. It's like the most "in" endearment for your significant other, (can't imagine using it though!) 

LEGIT
Okay, so its not really that  new, but I have never heard it used so much until recently, like using this word in their sales talk and arguments made all the difference, haha. Its just a shortened "legitimate" and basically means authentic, real or original, that's it.
what? confused chloe moretz
gif from giphy.com
IRL
You're familiar with the expression "real-time" right? It means something is happening at the actual time, think twitter and live streaming. The general idea for this is also in IRL as it stands for In Real Life. Supposedly, it was coined as chat lingo but became mainstream expression; like when you and your girlfriends talk about random stuffs and then one of you ask what would you do in this scenario and then one quips a nonsensical response, then the one who asks would say, "IRL, of course."

ROFL
Another chat/text lingo that means Rolling Off Floor, Laughing. I like to think that it's the upgraded version of LOL, "Laughing Out Loud"

LMAO
Then there's this one, which translate to "Laughing My Ass Out"

AF
No, it doesn't stand for Abercrombie & Fitch. It stands for "As Fvck". Deal with it.

YOLO
This certainly isn't  new but it has flooded your news feed for a time. It is an acronym for "You Only Live Once". Some say it is synonymous to the Latin phrase carpe diem which literally means seize the day.

BREEZY
I often hear boys  in the neighborhood saying this. They usually use this to describe someone's suave moves, when they hit on a girl smoothly or such. But if you're to deduce it with the name itself, I think its along the lines of "palipad-hangin".

BROMANCE 
This is a term coined to describe the close relationship between two or more male that may seem overly friendly but not in a sexual context.

MEMA
I've been pretty much confused with this one. I often see this one pop up in my timeline #MEMA but really had no idea until my sister told me it literally means "me masabi" (just to say something), you know, saying your two cents and all.

________
Update: I recently came across a write-up about the slang we use in the Philippines nowadays, although it's not extensive but it did cover some of the words I didn't include here. If you want to know what these words are, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment