June 30, 2018

How to Renew Your NBI Clearance

It was in 2007 when I applied for my first NBI clearance. I remember having my mother accompany me in Carriedo and having to deal with the long queue and dizzying process. It was the very first time I had to do it, so despite my sore feet and queasy stomach, I had to suck it up, I needed that clearance for my summer job.

Moving forward, in 2012, my friend needed to pass her NBI clearance as her pending requirement for her work so she asked if I could come along. It was timely, since my NBI clearance had long been expired and since I had nothing better to do then. This time around, it was in Galleria. It was around 5 in the morning when my friend and I left our house since we anticipated the long line and we were told that only the first 100 or so were entertained. The line was still disheartening, (just imagine if we got there a bit later and we were no longer given any number, yikes!) but the process itself was simpler and the security personnel were accomodating.

Now six years later, the need to renew my NBI clearance came up. And since I had no idea on the renewal process anymore, I asked some people and was told that I just needed to go online, as easy as that! Talk about falling behind, way behind , lol.

As such, I wrote this post in an attempt to walk you through the renewal process based on my own experience in doing so, hope this helps you out :)
  1. Go to the National Bureau of Investigation website or to the NBI Clearance Online Services page (click here)
Take the time to actually read what is on the page to avoid  hassles.
This will be the first thing you'll see and you need to be fully aware that the NBI Clearance isn't free. As of March 12, 2018, it costs Php 130.00 to comply with the Documentary Stamp Tax rate adjustment. 

I was able to process mine earlier thus, I only paid the initial amount of Php 115.00 (not including the additional charge since I paid the fee in Bayad Center).

      2. Make an account/ Register

Since it's a renewal, the obvious answer for the question "Do you have an old NBI clearance", will be yes. 

Make sure that you fill in the information for each box and do note that the part asking for your old NBI ID Number is only applicable for the clearances issued from 2014 onwards.

But if the clearance you're renewing was issued from 2014-2018, you have  to indicate the NBI ID number which is located at the upper left corner of the clearance, again it's on the upper left side and not the one in the upper right above your picture (red font) not that one!

You will then go to your profile page where you indicate the applicant information (full name, gender, birthday, birth place, civil status, citizenship), contact details (address, mobile number, email), family background, educational background, occupation, religion, height and weight etc., Don't worry not all items actually needs to be answered, as there are some that are optional like the nickname and the identifyning marks. 

Also, you need to specify what identification card you're going to present. You just need one. In my case, I used my passport since it was the most valid among all my government ID (haha, just kidding, but it's just always at hand)
This dialog box will pop up.
Once you've finished typing the information needed, click the "apply for clearance" button on the far right. And on to the next page!


You will then have to choose the appointment date, the satellite office you want to complete the process and the method of payment you want (over the counter, Bayad Center/LBC, 7/11, etc). Be advised that there is additional Php 25.00 for the e-payment services.

Once you've settled on the venue, date and time (AM/PM) as well as the payment option. You will then get the reference number that you will need to settle for the amount due (Php 130.00 + Php 25.00)


I remember that I only took a photo of the reference number, paid in a Bayad Center and printed the application form and photocopied my passport just before going to the satellite office. I was a bit hesitant since it felt "kulang". But that was all I needed.


     3. Photo and Fingerprint Scanning

Proceed to the satellite office where you chose to complete the renewal process along with your printed application form, official receipt and the specified ID to be presented. Come a bit earlier so that you can have ample time to "look around", I'm assuming you're not a regular in the area and you need some time to locate where exactly you need to go.

As for me,  I left the house past 9 in the morning and arrived in my chosen satellite office around 10 AM. Of course, given the time, there was already a line, it was a good thing though that it was a weekday and there were seats available.

But to tbh, I was really nervous then as I really had no idea if what I did online was right or sufficient. Fortunately, I heard a girl a few seats away from me asking someone the very things I had misgivings. We chatted for a bit and were both able to ease our minds, anyway if we did something wrong on the online process at least, that makes two of us! Hahaha...

When it was my turn, I just gave my reference number, presented the hardcopy of the application form and handed in my passport. They just checked and reconfirmed the information encoded, took a rather unflattering photo of me (haha) and had my fingerprints scanned.


     4. Clearance Printing

If you don't have any "hits", chances are you're going to have your clearance that very day. However,  if you do have "hits", which they'll definitely tell you, you have to go back on a specific day, they'll also be the one telling you. No need to fuss though, as you'll only have to go to the window for the clearance printing, you just have to hand in the application form and they'll just print it out for you.

But if you don't have the time to go back or there's a conflict on your schedule, then you can just choose to have your NBI clearance delivered at your doorstep. Just go back to the NBI Clearance page (click here), choose the delivery service and type in your reference number and birth date.




There are other services offered such as the NBI Clearance Online Verification, which I tried (I laughed when I saw my picture again!) and then the NBI Clearance Quick Renewal (I have yet to try this). Compared to how I renewed my NBI clearance then, this time around is definitely better and more convenient. 

Well, I can't speak for everyone as there are still some annoying stuff like having to go back, lol. If you're going to renew your NBI Clearance or just about to get one, I hope this post helped you out somehow. :)


note: photos used in the post are screenshots and are used to further relate to the readers the steps in renewing NBI clearance

5 comments:

  1. Saved as a favorite, I like your site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Hope I could also update more frequently this year. Would like to hear from you again, so please make sure to include your name as well. ��

      Delete
  2. Hi I am so excited I found your blog, I really found you by accident,
    while I was browsing on Aol for something else, Anyhow I am here
    now and would just like to say many thanks for a remarkable post and a all round thrilling
    blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time
    to read through it all at the minute but I have saved
    it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be
    back to read much more, Please do keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Your words mean a lot to me especially as I've been trying to find more time to update my site. Hope you continue to read my blog and do let me know what you think about my works again. Have a good day! :)

      Delete
  3. You can certainly see your expertise within the article you write.

    The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who
    aren't afraid to mention how they believe. At all times go after your heart.

    ReplyDelete