April 7, 2018

How to Renew Your Philippine Passport

By the latter part of 2017, my passport expired. Months prior to this, I contemplated whether or not I should renew it, considering the 10-year validity of the Philippine passport was still being talked about. But I kinda knew it would be detrimental not to renew it, given how there could be "unplanned trips" ahead. It would be SO sad if I can't go just because I didn't renew my passport when I had the chance.

I listed down the pros and cons, and yes the pros outweighed the other. Hence, despite the 10-year validity taking effect in just a few months, I jumped the gun and renewed my passport before 2017 wrapped up.



So I'm going to share in this post, how I renewed my passport and basically what to expect when you renew yours. Hope this helps!


1. Secure an online appointment via the DFA's website (https://www.passport.gov.ph/appointment)


Make sure that you read the terms and conditions, before clicking on the box for the agreement  and proceeding to the individual online appointment button at the bottom part.

Read it first!


You will then be redirected to the page where you can choose where to have your appointment. Find the place closest to your place and make sure that you know how to get around. I, for one didn't really know where DFA East was, other than it being in Megamall!

Choose the place that's convenient to you.

On the date and time section of the online appointment, check out the dates and time that are still available. The dates in green are available while the ones in red are already full. The appointment time for the specified date is listed on the right side and has a corresponding note whether it's full or not.

Oh no! All the dates this April is in red!


Be advised that you need to accomplish all the information asked on the succeeding sections as the slots available gets filled quickly. Also, it detects if there is no activity on the page and will redirect you to the terms and conditions page! Oh nooooo! Make sure that you provide accurate information and do not leave the spaces with the asterisk (*) blank, otherwise, you won't be getting any further with the online appointment.

Make sure that you provide an active and correct email address, GMAIL or Yahoo accounts are the only ones you can use as they are able to receive the confirmation email that you have to click the link to, and have your appointment confirmed and for your application form to be downloaded.

2. Prepare the requirements needed

You need to check what passport you are renewing as there are different requirements depending on the passport you have. If you have either the BROWN, GREEN or MAROON (Machine Readable) or any other passport issued older that these three then your passport is no longer subject for "renewal" and instead considered "new application" already.

The main requirements for renewal are as follows:
  • Confirmed Online Appointment
  •  Personal Appearance
  • Accomplished Application Form 
  • Current Passport of the Applicant  
  • Photocopy of any valid  ID (Click here for list of accepted ID)
  • Original PSA authenticated documents that will support the change of name (if applicable)
 -  Annotated Marriage Contract to show annulment/divorce/court ordered instruction
           
 -  Death Certificate of Spouse
 -  Marriage Contract 
 -  Annotated Birth Certificate

Take note that there are certain cases like renewing lost e-passport which needs supporting documents or if the applicant renewing the passport is a minor, there is separate list of requirements set. Please refer to the following link for the said requirements:

For Adult Applicant
For Minor Applicant

3. Show up for your appointment

Don't you ever skip out on your schedule as it is hard to secure an appointment for the renewal of the  passport these days. Make sure that you arrive early so that you can double check your papers and have a chance to "look around".

I actually had a family appointment, I'm not sure if  DFA still offers it, but I opted this as I accompanied my parents whose passports had been expired for such a long time already. Our schedule was just  a few hours after lunch in DFA NCR East (Megamall).  Since we arrive hours earlier than our schedule, we were able to stroll in the mall for a bit and went to look for the satellite office right after.
Out with old and in with the new!

It was also a good thing that our scheduled time was  "patay na oras".  The queuing was okay and the personnel were accommodating. My parents were even ushered in the priority lane since my father is a senior citizen already.  I was the first one on the counter and had to stand for a few minutes while the officer in charge peruse my documents. I was just asked a couple of questions and then directed to proceed to the cashier.

Refer to the current fees below:
                                                                              Regular                                 Expedite

Aseana/Consular Offices (Manila)                      Php 950.00                              Php 1,200.00
                                                                          15 working days                       7 working days       

Consular Offices (outside Manila)                       Php 950.00                             Php 1, 200.00
                                                                         20 working days                     10 working days                                                             

Foreign Service Posts                                              $60.00                             
                                                                            28-60 days

Please note that there is an additional fee for Lost and Mutilated e Passports (Php 350.00 for applications filed in the Philippines: for applications filed overseas, prices may vary depending on Post. Please contact Post for details). Additional 15 business days clearing period for Lost Valid Passports.

After paying I was directed to the area for the encoding of my information and photo time! Haha... Anyway, this was probably the only part where I had to wait since there were a couple of people before my turn.

Says just about what you need to know...
Most applicants had toddlers in tow so the place was turning pretty colorful then, it was kinda sweet too when I saw how the people assisting us tried to help the parents run after one child and some to divert the kid's attention for his picture. People actually clapped when the kid finally had a decent picture, hehehe.

During my turn, I just had to sit for a bit while my information was typed. The fingerprints, the photo and the signature came after. And voila, tapos na!

I even finished before my parents so I had the chance to chitchat with kuya guard and manong guard. And yes, I asked two different people, nothing like being absolutely sure of what was needed to do.

So, after my parents had their turn, we went out and continued gallivanting. Hahaha, sorry, unnecessary information :)


Take note that you have the option to have your passport delivered to your doorstep or pick it up at the place where you had your appointment. In my case, I opted not to have my passport delivered, unlike the first time I applied and instead have it picked up by my parents along with theirs.This was one of the things I talked about with the friendly security personnel of DFA NCR East. I just prepared an authorization letter, a copy of my valid ID, the passport receipt and even my old passport just in case.

P.S
It has been about five months since I renewed my passport, it's just now that I finally finished writing about how the the whole renewal thing went down. Still, I hope that I was able to share some important information but if not, you can just check out the official DFA website or click here.

2 comments:

  1. It's not my first time to go to see this web site, i am browsing this website dailly and get pleasant facts from here every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaahhh, thanks, unfortunately I haven't really been that active, though I'm into microblogging these days, (IG and FB my story, really) I'll try to update more since you've been kind enough to tell me you've been looking forward to my posts :)

      Delete