June 13, 2016

Senseless Deaths and Killings

Just a few days ago, my phone finally broke, (well, considering I had been using it for more than two years and my sister used it before me, such was inevitable) hence, I was more or less, clueless of what was going on. It was through my phone that I keep abreast of current events and all. I ended up going out of my cave to catch the nightly news with the rest of the brood. It was then that my sister told me The Voice finalist Christina Grimmie was shot during an autograph signing in Orlando, Florida. The singer was rushed to the hospital but passed away soon after. She was just 22.

disclaimer: I do not own this photo, no copyright infringement intended
The gunman was said to have traveled there just so he could kill the singer, the reason for such is still unknown. He was armed with two handguns, had extra ammunition and a hunting knife. He was tackled by Grimmie's brother and then shot himself to death. Then, another tragedy struck Orlando. A gunman shot 50 people in a nightclub in Orlando and wounded many others. This incident has been tagged as the deadliest after the 9/11. 

It was later revealed that the gunman Omar Mateen called 911 prior to the attack and pledged allegiance to ISIS. His ex-wife had told the media that he was mentally unstable and violent. Plus, it was said that he was a homophobe. Many leaders condemn the attack and have said it was an act of hate. It was also reiterated how easy it was to access guns. 

It was very heartbreaking. I didn't follow Grimmie's career or know any of the other victims but I know they didn't deserve such senseless death. They were someone's relative, someone's friend, someone's other half, someone's inspiration but their lives were cut short just like that. Nobody deserve to die that way. So when will such cease to happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment