June 5, 2016

On May 26, Thursday, my parents and I geared up for our 3-day stay in my mother's hometown Liliw, Laguna. My father had been so looking forward to the trip as he would be celebrating his 59th birthday the very next day. Though, my parents regularly go back to the province since my maternal grandmother died, it was my first trip back this year. I wasn't even planning to go with them but my maternal aunt/godmother whom I'm very close to has been asking about me, ergo, my unplanned trip.

Initially, I thought that we would just prepare for a small feast with my relatives from my mother's side of the family. There were talks of going on a picnic but I really wasn't looking forward to it as they say, the more you plan the more it becomes drawing, hehe. Moreover, most of my relatives were elsewhere, it was still a weekday after all, in fact my siblings were in Manila since they had work. Plus, the venue wasn't even decided on, so the picnic didn't seem possible at all.

So it was kinda surprising when my mother told me to buy snacks for the picnic, I was literally like, "huh? tuloy ba?" And oh, it was so on. I woke up later than they did and had just found out that they already went to the market to buy the ingredients for our lunch. My aunt and cousins from Nagcarlan also arrived and brought along these really big tilapia with them. The elders decided to skip the picnic and just go on swimming after eating a hearty lunch at home. They thought that bringing food would be such a hassle since (1) we didn't have a vehicle big enough to accommodate us all and (2) we had children tagging along; we can't exactly carry the containers of food whilst looking after the kids.




By then, it was decided that we would go to "kurba" as it was more accessible and my ninong knows the family who lived there. I was contemplating whether to go as the bed and the weather beckoned me to sleep, it was the perfect day to laze around! Unfortunately, my mother got her way and I kissed my nap time goodbye. None of us really knew what to expect, we haven't been there, heck, it was my first time ever hearing of the place!


We arrived around one in the afternoon. To get to the other side, one had to go down makeshift stairs and cross a bamboo bridge. It wasn't that bad, though I was a bit nervous, I kept imagining it wasn't strong enough to hold my weight! Hehe. Anyway, there were a lot of kids swimming already. Most of them got out of the water upon seeing the "new arrivals". We didn't get into the water immediately and just watched the local kids while they played. They were pretty amazing! They dove in the water without any hesitation whilst some jumped from big boulders of rock. I was the one scared for them! I asked them if they weren't worried that they might get injured. But they just laugh it off and said they pretty much knew where to land. Woah, these kids. . .


I argued with my mother on what body of water it was. She said it was a river and I said it was stream. It was a bit small to be a lake if it was to be compared with the lakes in Laguna. Anyway, my father and I were among the first ones to go in the water. We kinda checked how deep it was. I knew how to swim but thus far, I've only swam in pools. As I said, the kids there were pretty amazing and they assured me it was totally fine. In fact, one of the girls even swam a bit and stood on her toes to show me how deep it was.


new friends!
The water was totally refreshing! Some of the rocks were arranged at the side and served as a makeshift pathway and our seats too. There were also cottages built by the residents, complete with a long bench, a table and light. I was told that visitors can also borrow a lifebuoy for a small amount. Plus, get this, you can also rent videoke! Unfortunately, we skipped on this one since, the elders set a time, and they knew that once we get our hands on the microphone, it would be impossible to let go.  
We mostly sat by the "mini waterfalls", it was like getting your own masseuse! I actually alternated between this and sitting by the improvised faucet which is safe enough to drink from.I tell you it was refreshing! Then my younger cousins and I went to the other side and swam with the locals. The kids told me that they lived just around the area and had been recently going there to cool-off. They went on to tell me that there were other spots that were good too but since this was more accessible they preferred this one, and most of their peers go swimming here as well.


At one point, I chanced upon a wrapper floating about. I told the kids to be mindful of where they threw their garbage and they assured me they do since the residents also put thrash bins in each cottage. I told them they should make a conscious effort to keep the place clean. After all, they will be directly affected if it gets polluted.
 

Our host shared that just the day before, a group of Koreans went there along with two Filipino guides. They obviously had a blast as it was already dark but none seemed eager to go home. He noted that they were quite loud and kept on asking what they put in the water to make it that way. Manong was amused and a bit confused with the question and just laughed it off. He finds it amazing that people fall in love with the place. I was no different though. I was awestruck by its sheer beauty and the sound of running water was so soothing! It was a reprieve from the dreary and hot weather of the city.

'Til our next encounter!
In hindsight, I think Manong just got used to being there. For people like myself, its not everyday that you would wake up and be greeted by the sounds of running water or with the smell of trees, a whiff of fresh air nor by the sounds of chirping birds. So, I'm reaaaally glad I was able to go there, lest I wouldn't have acquainted myself  with one of nature's splendor.

No comments:

Post a Comment