October 22, 2014

A Reason to Celebrate

Hey there! Let me tell you about a joyous moment we celebrated of late. My older sister (ate) officially passed her Thesis subject, making her eligible for graduation! Whohooo! She can now cross off “obtain masters” in her bucket list. My parents and I couldn’t be any happier for her!

In retrospect, we all had to pitch in for her to finish her thesis if not financially, physically and mentally at least. It was no joke, I tell you! We had to go over pages and pages and compute for the result. Heck, my father even stayed up at 1 in the morning to finish his share. He never stayed that late, it was way past his bedtime! I guess, we all made certain concessions then. I mean, my mother was usually out and about with her church affairs but she refrained from doing so in order to help sis. Two of my cousins also put in hours checking their share of the questionnaire. I had to do without the late night TV that was as vital as any of this generation’s social life! But then again, my sister was the one who had to do without with many things.

For one, she had to forgo sleep, the restful and adequate one. At some nights, she was lucky with five-six hours of it but usually three-four hours of sleep passed off as her rest. She would then go to her full-time job in the morning and teach in the local university in the late afternoon.

party fun how i met your mother celebrate applause
Honestly, I tried picturing myself in her stead, it wasn’t a pretty picture, just thinking about it made me tired and ready to pass out. I don’t have that much dedication to begin with. My sister and I are the same in some way but this isn’t one of them. She already had her life mapped out. I don’t, not really.

Honestly, I’m the “we’ll see” kind of person, and I have always believed plans have a way of changing, don’t you? True, I thought of studying again but not really in line with my sister’s vision. I am actually considering another major, not a post-graduate title.  


Moving on! I still do not know if she’s throwing a party or just a simple dinner of sorts, we usually go with the latter though. But still a Masters Degree is an amazing feat by my standard. I mean, we are not from a well-off family and we still get in tight squeezes from time to time. So yeah, this is definitely a big deal in our family. 

I don’t think I could top it off any time soon, unless I get knocked up! Hahaha,  just kidding, or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment