November 20, 2015

So, what I did was. . .

Hello! If you notice, my blog still needs a few more tweaks here and there. I’m still not satisfied with my design and I’m still trying to figure out my area of expertise, of which I’ll be writing about.

But honestly, there are a lot of things I really need to understand with regards to keeping a blog. That’s why I’m in awe with bloggers who have a definitive style. Like my cousin-in-law for one, Coi's Hey Mama Coi, she finalized her template design and has settled on mommy stuffs as her writing topic, (well, among other things as she recently added reviews and events). I haven’t settled for a particular area so, I’m keeping my blog description for the time being (by-product of my usual rambling).

I’ve made a blog before but inadvertently deleted it as I was paranoid about “intellectual property theft” at the time (yep, I'm that praning!) It’s not that I’m that good in writing though, but I experienced having my work published under a different name once or twice already and mind you it blew out of proportions! I think it was during my school days, can't remember the details though as I try to block unsavory stuff nowadays, hahaha.

Further, blogging was not as mainstream then as it is now (or maybe it was and I just wasn’t aware of it). Anyway, my objective in having this page is to immortalize my thoughts per se. And a friend did point out that my room was a firetrap. I kept all the stuffs I wrote in for safekeeping, from school pads, to receipts, tissues and even flyers! Just imagine how much I have compiled over the years!
At this time and age, everyone can put up a blog. So if ever you’re thinking about putting one up, go ahead! There are hosting sites that are free but you do have to stick to their terms and conditions, else, your account be suspended. I am obviously using Blogger; you just need to have a Gmail account. Then there’s WordPress too, though I’m not that familiar with it! There are also those hosting sites that you have to pay for; the good thing about them is that you can have your own URL (i.e. yourblogname.com instead of yourblogname.blogspot.com and the like).

If you have misgivings as you don’t know where to start, put them all aside, there are many tutorials out there! You can personalize your blog and learn as you go, just like I'm doing now. I read a lot of blogs which feature DIY like that of Ms. Carrie Koehmstedt's Carrie Loves and Dana Fox's Wonder Forest to name a few. I've recently stumbled upon another great find in Stephanie (and Jessica)'s These Paper Hearts, do check it out! As for the design, there are various free templates for you to choose from, yes free! Or if you want something more artsy and personalize, you can have someone make it for you, for a price of course.

Then if you’ve settled on your design and the other details such as your blog name, write whatever’s on your mind! It can be about mundane things, satirical pieces, poems and even photography. Use your blog as a means to express yourself and grow! But keep in mind though, that despite the right to express yourself, you should know that there are limits. Further, if you are going to use someone else's work, make sure you have their permission or that you’ve properly cited the source. It may be the World Wide Web but common courtesy is still called for.

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment