May 13, 2016

One Good Vote Coming Up!

election vote pusheen i voted
D-day has come! The May 2016 election has recently been concluded but we're still far from wrapping up. Its actually just the beginning. The results are still not yet official though there are presumptive leaders already; whilst some were already proclaimed the new this and that. And as we all now, dramas have unfolded left and right. Someone claiming of being cheated is inevitable. In fact, somebody had already cried foul! But I'm not going to talk about the "after the election" blues. This post is solely a recounting of how May 9 panned out for me as a newly-signed up election volunteer.

In earlier posts, I've been writing about the elections and hinted in my SNS and eventually tweeted about volunteering for the PPCRV. Yes, VOLUNTEER. Its my something new this year and I was pretty much invested in the topic. In previous elections, I and some of my cousins were poll watchers for certain candidates and we got paid for doing so. But this year, I opted to do something more in line with my conscience. (Wow, conscience, big word!) Plus, my ate who actually volunteers during election was given assignment as a BEI (Board of Election Inspector), so there was a need for replacement. Since I have a lot of free time and I really wanted to do something meaningful, it didn't take long for me to sign up.
A good reminder, don't you think so?
Because I knew the kind of people I'll be rubbing elbows with, I was prepared for the worst. After all, the elections in the Philippines is a very important and usually chaotic event. At one point, I equated it with dealing with pricks and really highhanded people. I admit that I'm not really the nicest person around but I am so down with this volunteering endeavor. Besides, I have already willed myself to be on my best behavior because I really wanted to be part of the change, the good one. I wanted to be useful and in my own way make a difference.

PPCRV's issued ID and poll watcher's guide
On the first meeting, I found out that PPCRV did not have that many volunteers. **Jessie J's Price Tag plays here**. So, despite being assigned our respective tasks we had to roll up our sleeves and help out as much as we can. Fortunately, I was not assigned inside the precincts and was closely working with my mother. We were part of the help-desk team. I got to familiarize myself with some of the volunteers assigned in the area as well, most of whom were way younger than I am. Though, we were told of what to expect and was given the "pep talk", we were not exactly given much time to execute our game plan to make things easier and efficient. At past 6 in the morning, barely done setting up, surge of voters flooded our area for assistance. Initially, we only had two people manning the computer, while three assisted the voters. The other volunteers from Pasig had yet to arrive.We held the fort down until reinforcement arrived. From then on, we lost track of time.

This was taken during the not-so peak hours
The young ones had their laptops with them and were designated to look for the voter's name, precinct number and room number if it was in their copy whilst I was tasked to write their names, room numbers and explain if necessary what they needed to do, direct them where to go or explain why their names were not in the system or direct them to the principal's office for further assistance. I'd like to think my speaking voice is okay but when one gets to hear it for such a long time and in a louder volume, it's not at all appealing! Haha, frankly, I think I sounded like a broken record. I tried to explain not just to the person concern and addressed everyone within hearing distance what would then become the standard explanation. 
We finally caught our breath around 2 in the afternoon
In between pokes to get my attention and judgy stares I got from the people who went to our table, I was rewarded with smiles, affectionate pats, really enthusiastic thank-you's and mundane stories of some of the voters' lives. Some even praised us for doing something we were not exactly compensated for. It was very heartwarming to be appreciated when they didn't even know us at all! Some even fanned us and helped us look for their names whilst some apologized for imposing. It was really tiring but rewarding when the voters came back to tell us how things went and thank us again.

This was like the only time I got to sit on a chair for longer than 10 seconds
Of course, we had to deal with reaally rude people who acted as if we were there to cater to them. We were ready to serve but there was no need to look down on us and regard us nastily. I greeted them my most pleasant and cheerful good morning (I'm not even a morning person) and offered them assistance even before they ask. Since I was the one standing and the most accessible to the voters, I took it upon myself to explain this and that. Moreover, I was basically the oldest in the group. My mother on the other hand, assisted the volunteers from Pasig at the other side of the table. 

annoyed whatever eye roll duh girlTwice, my patience was sorely tested. The first one was when a man came to us to complain about his polling precinct. Honestly, I didn't have much idea of how things were looking in the other areas since we were not exactly given a chance to leave our own posts. Our group as it was, was small and we couldn't afford to have anyone leave just then. And as far as I know, someone else was assigned to go about all floors. Our main task was locating precincts and room numbers, I explained this to him. He had been telling me of the situation and I had tried to explain to him that it was something beyond us and a matter that COMELEC personnel should be addressing. But he cut me off and insisted that my reason was baluktot and demanded to know my name.

He said that as part of the government I should know how to handle the situation and should have been prepared beforehand. His having said this was the point when I finally had enough  and told him I wasn't part of COMELEC at all. That I was in fact, a volunteer from PPCRV, a citizen's arm and though acknowledge by COMELEC is still an independent, nonpartisan, nongovernmental organization. By then, I noted that others were listening while some were suppressing their amusement. A woman then reinforced my statement by saying we were not paid to do any services at all. The man walked away without a by-leave. My co-volunteers were silent while this happened but they paid close attention to what was happening, one even told me to chill out. I was just trying to explain to him as best I could our side and as polite as I could muster because I knew he was already irritated but he wasn't inclined to listen. I wasn't angry, not at all. Though I was annoyed, he even tried to make me cower by insinuating to report me. I am down with extending my hand but not having it bitten off. So I wasn't about to take anybody's sh*t at all. 

When we finally had the time to eat, we were way past our hunger!
There were others who were demanding but once they were told and some were reminded we were just volunteers, they kept mum and waited while others apologized. The next untoward incident happened later, a woman demanded to know who gave her pregnant sister the details of her voting precinct without specifying the school she was supposed to go to. I didn't immediately react to it because upon seeing the paper she brought, I knew it wasn't from our table and it wasn't my handwriting. I'm 100% positive with this. We used the same paper in the beginning and used scratch papers later on. So it was easy to know which one came from us. Besides, someone from my group made a similar mistake but immediately owned up to it and profusely apologized to the person she troubled. Apology made and accepted, I saw it happen and even admired her for it. But still, it did not change the fact that someone actually mucked up.

This was the only picture my face was seen yet I wasn't even looking!
I apologized on the group's behalf since it was really a lapse not to specify the place. However, the woman was bent on making a scene and demanded to know who was responsible. Supposedly, her pregnant sister spent much time looking for the room that was non-existent in the place. She was furious, I understood. But its not like anyone would own up for that blunder anymore after seeing her act that way.  I figured she wasn't going to accept anything I say.  So, I called my mother over and she dealt with her. Like the man before her, she walked away without a by-leave.

Then there were the senior citizens. I applaud them for really making the effort to vote. Some were so frail and had to be accompanied whilst others went without. It was a hot and long day, the endless crowd wasn't endearing, just imagine how uncomfortable it was for them. So, we feel for them and got really annoyed on their behalf when we find out that some of the lolos and lolas  had to make a grueling trek to their precinct in the upper levels. Supposedly, there were designated precincts for PWDs, senior citizens and other cases in the ground floor but not all were entertained here. What's even sadder is that some elderly people were not able to vote because their names were not in the list. They exerted effort for nothing.

The other help-desk, they had it easier than us as they had less registered voters than our 20,000!
I remember another case, where a pregnant woman asked for our help. We found her name and the details she needed but she had to go to the fourth floor to vote. She told me that she couldn't make it that far as she was due any day. I kinda had a feeling she was going to say it as she was really heavy with child. I commended her effort as she really wanted to exercise her right to vote. I called my mother over since I didn't really know where to direct her and I would rather not have her more tired and inconvenienced. I eventually found out she wasn't allowed to vote in the ground floor and just left for home.

This was later in the afternoon and not as hurried as the earlier hours.
These incidents were saddening and disappointing not only for the voters but also for us volunteers. We really wanted them to vote and not have their efforts wasted. But we couldn't do anything since  we were merely the "support" and it was still the COMELEC's call. We just advised them to update / register their records so they can avoid the hassle for the next election.

Taken after the closing of elections, most of us went home already
The day was really long and tiring but it was a good day in general. There was no major mishap except for the leak on the ceiling, the extension cord was grounded, we missed most of our meals and opted to give out our snacks. So yeah, everything ended relatively well. I met new people and gained new experience and for that I consider myself blessed. 

Outlander tv happy season 3 romance
_____________________
Images used in this post are courtesy of CCI
GIFs are from giphy.com

1 comment:

  1. Good job on volunteering! Younger generation should participate sa mga ganitong events para matuto sila at mapahalagahan nila yung right to vote. A lot kasi take voting for granted tas magrereklamo sa di magandang patakbo.Tsaka mas dapat talaga volunteers ang nag aasist sa eleksyon para mawala na ngtuluyan ang dayaan.

    ReplyDelete